Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2004, 01:29 PM   #1
Beor
founder of the color blue

Chapter 21: Of Turin Turambar

CHAPTER 21: OF TURIN TURAMBAR

Additional Reading:
Unfinished Tales: Narn I Hin Hurin
Book of Lost Tales 2: Turambar and the Foaloke
Lays of Beleriand: The Lay of the Children of Hurin
And possibly more, that’s all the HOME I have access to.

Quote:
“Sit now there,” said Morgoth, “and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come upon those whom you have delivered to me. For you have dared to mock me, and have questioned the power of Melkor, Master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes you shall see, and with my ears you shall hear, and nothing shall be hidden from you.”
Chapter 21 begins with a little bit of geneology on the wives and kids of Hurin and Huor, describing how Huor’s wife was Rian, and Hurin married Morwen. Turin was born in the year that Beren came upon Luthien in Neldoreth, eight years before the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, and he had a sister, Lalaith, which is laughter, who was two years younger. Turin loved Lalaith, as we see in the Narn I Hin Hurin, Unfinished Tales, page 59:

Quote:
At that time all the warmth of his heart was for Lalaith his sister; but he played with her seldom, and liked better to guard her unseen and to watch her going upon grass or under tree, as she sang such songs as the children of the Edain made long ago when the tongue of the Elves was still fresh upon their lips.
When he was five years old, she died, “for the Evil Breath came to Dor-Lomin.” Turin took sick as well, and when he recovered she was dead. He wept, but his mother told him never to mention the name Lalaith, for “Laughter is stilled in this house.” From then, he spoke of her only to a man named Sador, who was a soldier when Galdor fell, and he watched Hurin take up his fathers lordship and take command, but afterword, he was weary of battle, and returned to Dor-lomin, where he maimed himself with an axe. Turin and Sabor talked about many things, as Hurin was often gone, and Morwen was, in my opinion, too sullen to have a good conversation with.
Sabor and Turin speak on many things in the Narn, but on page 62 of the Unfinished Tales, Sabor tells Turin, regarding the relations of the Edain and the Eldar, something that is very prophetic:

Quote:
”But my father loves them,” said Turin, “and he is not happy without them. He says that we have learned nearly all that we know from them, and have been made a nobler people; and he says that the men that have lately come over the Mountains are hardly better than Orcs.”
“That is true,” answered Sabor; “true at least of some of us. But the up-climbing is painful, and from high places it is easy to fall low.”
Hurin then set off for the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, and Turin never saw his father again. After the battle, the Easterlings, under the leadership of a man named Brodda, were given Dor-lomin to live in. They didn’t mess with Morwen, though, because they thought she was a witch, and in league with the elves. Still, Morwen didn’t feel safe, and thus sent Turin to Doriath. Soon after he left, Morwen had a daughter who she named Nienor, which is mourning.
Turin and his companions managed to get lost in the Girdle of Melian, but lucky for them, Beleg Strongbow came along and led them to Menegroth. Turin was well received by King Thingol, because Ol’ Thingol no longer hated the Edain, due to Beren’s rescue of the Silmaril, and Hurin’s and Huor’s last stand at the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. Anyway, he was treated with honor, as a foster son of the king, yet he remained sorrowed. Messengers regularly went to Dor-lomin to bring word, and to try to persuade Morwen to bring herself and Nienor to Menegroth, but she refused, being too stubborn to leave her husbands land. She did send the Dragon-Helm of Dor-lomin, however, “one of the greatest heirlooms of the house of hador.”
About nine years passed of Turins abiding in Menegroth, when the messengers went out, but did not return, and the king would send no more. At this news, Turin went to Thingol and asked for mail and a sword, and he went to battle on the marches of Doriath, fighting alongside Beleg Cuthalion.
After three years, Turin went back to Menegroth. He came in dirty and unkempt from the field, and an elf of the place, Saeros, who was jealous of his favor with the king, taunted him saying:

Quote:
”If the Men of Hithlim are so wild and fell, of what sort are the women of that land? Do they run like deer clad only in their hair?”
This ticked Turin off, and he lobbed a drinking vessel at Saeros, injuring him.