Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #81
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

PROMETHEUS!! What a cinematic treat! I seriously enjoyed it, so so much, plus it was the first time I'd ever seen a 3D film. SO much fun, I highly recommend it.

Here's a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QacIEFP6uAw

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #82
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Michael Fassbender really stole the show with his super-tier acting. And he played a robot! You could've hired any number of working actors these days (which, well, they DID) and they'd all make great robots because they have no DEPTH, no soul. And here comes Fassbender, putting a soul into a robot whilst surounded by people with flesh & blood who almost all clearly lack soul.

Ah, the irony.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #83
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

You know, quite amazingly I've never seen the Alien movies. I should rectify that problem, since Prometheus looks really good.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:00 AM   #84
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I don't know. From one review I read it seems to be another one of those movies that feature a group of 'scientists' that haven't got the faintest idea of you know, actual science...

But ah, maybe I'm not the intented target group. I still haven't been able to see Alien all the way through, keep switching channels at the famous mess scene, or when they split up looking for the cat.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #85
hectorberlioz

Earniel, you better than anyone should know that the truly scientific movie is a rarer specimen than the Gunnison sage grouse .

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 06-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #86
Earniel

We-ell... there's a world of difference between a truly scientific movie and a movie where scientists behave remotely like scientists, or even a movie that doesn't have such glaring errors that even someone like me would notice.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #87
hectorberlioz

You know what I meant, though . By the way, Michael Crichton directed the adaptation of his own novel "The Andromeda Strain" back in the sixties. Did you ever get a chance to see that? Quite scientific, as far as movies go. And a good novel, too.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 06-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #88
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Prometheus was written by an idiot; that is to say, the writing really sucked, but Ridley Scott's direction, the visuals, the casting, the everything else was awesome. But the writing was literally a joke, so. Not a PERfect film, but wonderful, all the same.

Now, Drive, there was a perfect film.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #89
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz View Post
By the way, Michael Crichton directed the adaptation of his own novel "The Andromeda Strain" back in the sixties. Did you ever get a chance to see that? Quite scientific, as far as movies go. And a good novel, too.
I did, scientists actually behaved like scientists in that movie most of the time. There's apparently a fairly recent mini-series of The Andromeda Strain that I haven't seen yet, so don't know if that one was any good.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #90
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse View Post

Now, Drive, there was a perfect film.
Yes, I suppose Ryan Gosling+Driving=Perfection is not a far flung equation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I did, scientists actually behaved like scientists in that movie most of the time. There's apparently a fairly recent mini-series of The Andromeda Strain that I haven't seen yet, so don't know if that one was any good.
I'd heard the same about the new one: that it was actually pretty decent. Of course, the old one had its rather slow moments, and after five decades I'm not sure the two can be said to be in competition.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 11-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #91
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Prometheus was written by an idiot; that is to say, the writing really sucked, but Ridley Scott's direction, the visuals, the casting, the everything else was awesome. But the writing was literally a joke, so. Not a PERfect film, but wonderful, all the same.
I agree - Prometheus was pretty, the story quite bad. But it was pretty enough to watch.

I just watched The Road last night - now there's a great movie! It's really well done and Viggo Mortensen is just a great actor. Not knowing what caused the 'apocalypse' really makes this feel so much more real than any other post-apocalyptic movie I've seen. Really worth a watch, but maybe not when you feel like watching a jolly movie.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #92
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

My son went to see Wreck It Ralph with some friends, and my husband and I decided to stay and watch it (he needed us to take him because of his wheelchair), and it was wonderful! Just a brilliant little film - filled with tons of verbal and visual puns and amazing and clever scenery. My favorite line - King Candy gets shot at with some icing, and his two police guards ask him if he's hurt, and he says, "No, I was just glazed!"

My favorite running gag was
the two police guards were doughnuts and their names were Winchell and Duncan (for Dunkin' Donuts and Winchell's Donuts)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #93
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Lol Rian, sounds hella cute! I still wanna see Wreck It Ralph, I'm an absolute sucker for good animated/pixar flicks.

Nerdanel - The Road was a very good film, and surprisingly true to the GENIUS work of literature by Cormac McCarthy, one of the best books I've ever read. You've gotta check out the book, it'll blow you away, it is extraordinary.

I saw Skyfall last weekend & loved it!

Old 11-16-2012, 03:48 AM   #94
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Ralph was definitely more than one of those "let's throw something together and put it out there and try to make some money" movies, which are all too common nowadays, unfortunately . I think it was excellent on many levels, and well worth seeing. There's quite a twist in it, too - it fooled both of us.

Saw Skyfall and enjoyed it, but
oh, Judi!!!! Why did you have to leave??? And she said in interviews that she could have "go[ne] on for years" - why did they have to get rid of her?!

Anyone seen the Lincoln movie?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 11-16-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:02 AM   #95
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I was hella bummed about that, too, if your greyed-out part says what I think it might (I can't unbold it, don't ask, lol) nobody can replace her.

Even Roger Ebert, whose opinion I always revere, had nice things to say about Wreck-it Ralph, i definitely want to see that movie!

But, the one film besides anything from the Harry Potter franchise which is, sadly, over, that I will sit in a theatre for years if need be to see, is The Hobbit, which comes (WHEEEEeeEEE!!!) in exactly 4 weeks (eeeEEEE!!!! can'twait can't wait) on December 14, so...

No, haven't seen Lincoln yet, I have a real hard time dealing with Daniel Day-Lewis's extreme over-acting, he makes my teeth go on automatic grind, and Spielberg's films nowadays seem to be overwhelmingly heavy on the John Williams scores to the point of stabby-faced insanity (War Horse would have been brilliant if he'd JUST laid off all the overbearing music!!) so I'm not trying to rush into Lincoln just yet. I'll wait til it comes out on DVD.

Last edited by Lotesse : 11-16-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:13 AM   #96
Rían

Quote:
I was hella bummed about that, too, if your greyed-out part says what I think it might (I can't unbold it, don't ask, lol) nobody can replace her.
Yeah ... (and part of what was in the spoilered-out bit was that she said that she could have gone on for years ... so why in the world did that happen?! )

Old 11-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #97
Draken
Elf Lord

Skyfall was really good (the wife was very keen to see it for some reason...). Was so good to see the DB5 again.

Have to demur about Prometheus. Looking good just ain't good enough - for a big-budget film like that, that's a given. Overall it was mediocre at best, and the worst parts of it (the plot, basically) were dire.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #98
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Ciao, Draken, Happy Birthday! Or as I usually say, Buon Compleanno! I noticed, the other day, that it was you birthday, bello...

I'm boycotting any more theatre-viewings of films until the damn Hobbit. Really, that's all I care about, so. Yeah.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #99
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Watched "Guardians of the Galaxy" not too long ago. I really enjoyed it... It was a fun, sci-fy movie that never felt too serious.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:30 AM   #100
Rían

Agreed - fun!

I watched the Imitation Game last week and thought it was excellent. What was really good was how they portrayed
the terrible choices they had to make once the code was cracked - which people to save and which to pretend that they had not heard were being attacked, in order to not let the Germans know they had cracked the code.