Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2000, 07:46 PM   #1
Miralys

Soundtrack

I am looking for the soundtrack to the animated Hobbit movie by Rankin/Bass. My neice is six years old and loves the songs on there. I have bought her the video for Christmas but I would also like to give her the soundtrack (CD or cassette). Maybe someday I can pass on my worn out copies of LOTR! Any ideas where/if I could find this? I don't even know for sure if there is an official soundtrack. It seems a little commercialized for Tolkien.
Old 12-11-2000, 11:03 PM   #2
Grand Admiral Reese

Re: Soundtrack

No idea where you could find it. Sorry.
Old 12-11-2000, 11:47 PM   #3
X Rogue

All I can do is say that I know it exists. I volunteered at a library back in 1980-81 and they had a copy. On vinyl, if you can believe that. But I have no idea where you might locate a copy nowadays, unless you should get lucky at an estate/yard type sale, or used bookstore of some kind. Try amazon.com or another online book/music seller tho. You never know, they might have it. *Might*
Old 12-12-2000, 02:35 AM   #4
anduin

I have it....got it from a friend that works at a used record shop.

Here is a link for a copy that is for auction on Ebay. They say that the copy is still sealed so it should be in mint condition. Here is the description of the item: This Double lp entitled, THE HOBBIT-THE COMPLETE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACk including dialouge,music & Songs. Factory SEALED this includes a 16 page color booklet from the film and features the voices of Orson Bean/Richard Boone/John Huston/Otto Preminger-Music by Glen Yarbrough.
Old 12-13-2000, 02:47 AM   #5
Finduilas

I love Glen Yarbrough's music.
Old 12-14-2000, 08:47 PM   #6
Darth McClain

I'm glad you found it.
Old 12-15-2000, 02:24 PM   #7
Miralys

Hey thanks for all your help every one. I am sure that my neice will be thrilled!
Old 12-16-2000, 08:30 AM   #8
anduin

So you got a copy?? Were you the winning bidder on Ebay?
Old 12-16-2000, 08:29 PM   #9
Darth McClain

That would be cool!
Old 12-22-2000, 11:53 PM   #10
Miralys

Oooops. Sorry for the confusion. I didn't come out the victor at the e-bay auction. I did however go to Amazon and did some searching. I found a music store, little local shop in my area that carries everything under the sun just about.
Old 12-24-2000, 11:44 PM   #11
DopefishJustin

You can find some MP3's at www.tolkien-archives.com/audio.php3 at the bottom of the page. Unfortunately, they don't have the "far over the misty mountains" song which was one of my favorites. Oh well. www.thelordoftherings.com...media.html has two songs in RealAudio format.
Old 12-25-2000, 06:54 PM   #12
Darth McClain

Coolness.
Old 03-29-2001, 11:58 PM   #13
HotaruTomoe

Aw, nuts! The mp3s aren't there anymore!
Old 06-15-2015, 02:10 AM   #14
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Hijacking this thread for other (but similar) purposes…

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has been on television this weekend. As I listened, it suddenly struck me that…

Is it just me, or does the main title to An Unexpected Journey sound awfully reminiscent of “Bad Company”? Chords, progression, melody, pacing (but not tempo). (And no, I am definitely not accusing Howard Shore of plagiarism.)

─╫─

On this thread’s original topic, the 1977 Rankin-Bass Hobbit soundtrack is available as a two-record LP (you know, 331⁄3 rpm 12-inch vinyl) for $99 at Amazon. Or you can be chintzy and listen on YouTube. (I’m chintzy.) Or you can pay more on Amazon for the same LPs at $175.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote