Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2003, 02:22 PM   #21
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
I agree. The Elves were tied to the world, but Men were not. I think they may have feared their own end and were very curious as to what became of the fea of Men after death.
Well, they had been told by the Valar that Men would join the Second Music of the Ainur. And I think that maybe they were told about the gift of death to Men also. But they may have thought the life-span of Men to be much, much longer than they found it to be.
Quote:
In a way that turns the mortality tables, doesn't it? That in the end, Men were truely immortal, and the Elves die when the world dies.
Yes, and that is why it is so sad when Men end up envying the Elves their (seeming) immortality, while from the Elves pov it is the other way around.

I think this sentence about Men from the Sil says it all:
Quote:
Death is their fate, the gift of Ilúvatar, which as Time wears even the Powers shall envy.

Last edited by Artanis : 12-22-2003 at 02:29 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 04:32 PM   #22
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

We have all theses mean migrating to Beleriand and into the middle of a war between the Eldar and Morgoth. The rest of Middle Earth must be terrible t motivate this, yet Morgoth is partially bottled up in Angband. How isa he terroizing the rest of ME? And if he has such power there, how come there are not much more in the way of large armies of his allies/slaves comming into Beleriand from the rest of ME to fight the Eldar?
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 06:05 PM   #23
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
We have all theses mean migrating to Beleriand and into the middle of a war between the Eldar and Morgoth. The rest of Middle Earth must be terrible t motivate this, yet Morgoth is partially bottled up in Angband.
Those Men didn't know about Morgoth in Angband, they didn't know about the war between Morgoth and the Elves. They had fled from him in the east and thought they had come to a safe place when they reached Beleriand. Adanel's tale in HoME 10 is a story about how Morgoth corrupted Men in Eriador.