Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #201
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
I recently finished the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. OMG I loved it. It was, in my opinion, very intelligently written, cheesy plot-driven fantasy. Awesome characters, very believable with lots of strong women role models (strong in lots of ways, not just Eowyn-type strength).
That sounds really interessting! Having just finished two series of books (both playing in the same universere) where women rule the most important country, I think I have to continue reading books with good fimel role models!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #202
katya
Elven Maiden

Pick up the first book, Way of Shadows, when you feel up to it. My bf pestered me into it, but I'm so glad he did. I picked up the first book and intended only to read the first page to see how it was, but I ended up reading the first few chapters before putting it down! It is about assassins but it gets more into magic as it goes on.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #203
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
Pick up the first book, Way of Shadows, when you feel up to it. My bf pestered me into it, but I'm so glad he did. I picked up the first book and intended only to read the first page to see how it was, but I ended up reading the first few chapters before putting it down! It is about assassins but it gets more into magic as it goes on.
My reading list is still pretty long, but I might just see if I like those books as well. One can never read too much.

Currently I am reading "The Fall of Kings" by Ellen Kushner and Delia Sherman. I haven't read much until now, just started a few days ago after finishing "Swordspoint" and "The Privilege of the Sword", which both play in the same universe.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #204
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I am struggling through book 4 of WoT. I don't know why I bother. This is the third reading attempt.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:28 AM   #205
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
I thought WoT longwinded and hard to get into.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #206
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
I just finished the last WoT book. I was an epic ending to what is in my opinion the greatest fantasy series ever!
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #207
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I have finally started Game of Thrones. I couldn't decide between starting that series or Wheel of Time... I decided that with a busy semester coming up, GoT was less of a commitment! I will have much more time for reading in only six months

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #208
Hobbit103
Sapling

Anyone heard of The War of the Worlds by H.g Wells, well I'mma gonna read after finish TLOTR series and The Hobbit
Hobbit103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #209
Mari
Elf Lady

I've read only part of the book, but enough to know that the film was total bogus.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #210
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Yeah, it's a title I've heard before.

It's a great read if you like historical sci-fi. And if you're into sci-fi as a whole, it's a must-read and IMO to sci-fi what Tolkien was to fantasy.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #211
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

I have started Bloodring by Faith Hunter, http://www.amazon.com/Bloodring-Rogu...ords=bloodring since I lovelovelove her Jane Yellowrock stories. Finding it tough sledding though, since Thorn is much less sympathetic (to me) than Janey.
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote