Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #861
Mari
Elf Lady

Wow, a new allergy? That sucks
I'm disappointed that the most important news is Volkswagen-gate.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 09-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #862
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Volkswagen-gate?

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 09-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #863
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
That sucks.
Quote:
Oh yes. Luckily, it seems like something with only a very short pollen peak.

The irony of it all is that the very rain I've complained about too is also keeping the pollen content in the air lower and thus the allergic reaction lesser.

Quote:
It's kinda sad in a way. Although the sheer audacity and scope with which they so fully embraced fraud and cheated customers is mindboggling and should be brought out.

On the other hand, I'm glad for a bit of news that isn't either IS's unchecked crime-spree, or the refugee crisis and how politicians are abusing it to score points.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:18 PM   #864
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post

It's kinda sad in a way. Although the sheer audacity and scope with which they so fully embraced fraud and cheated customers is mindboggling and should be brought out.

On the other hand, I'm glad for a bit of news that isn't either IS's unchecked crime-spree, or the refugee crisis and how politicians are abusing it to score points.
It's a good point. Here it's Kim Davis, the refugee crisis, the Pope's visit, Kim Davis, politicians acting like grown children.

Actually, the Pope's visit was a welcome break in stealing Kim Davis' limelight. Much rather hear about him than an attention seeker

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #865
Earniel

Really? Your media still keep going on about that woman? I'd ask what more could one say about her other than she spectacularly failed to do and understand her job, but then I remembered your elections and how inane politicians of all breeds and nations get at such times and I no longer want to ask for fear of the answer.

I'm actually liking this pope. We still won't see eye to eye on a number of issues and he's got a giant mess of ancient Church bigotry to clean but at least he's trying.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #866
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Really? Your media still keep going on about that woman? I'd ask what more could one say about her other than she spectacularly failed to do and understand her job, but then I remembered your elections and how inane politicians of all breeds and nations get at such times and I no longer want to ask for fear of the answer.
Same s***, different day pretty much. It pretty much triggered a giant s***storm over gay marriage again.

Quote:
I'm actually liking this pope. We still won't see eye to eye on a number of issues and he's got a giant mess of ancient Church bigotry to clean but at least he's trying.
I do too. I highly respect him for what he's doing and attempting to do

Old 10-04-2015, 06:53 AM   #867
Mari
Elf Lady

I have no idea who that Kim person is. Sounds like I'm not missing much.
It's been a long time since I could say this, but I'm postponing my homework by hanging around here. Yay!

Old 10-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #868
Acalewia

Quote:
I have no idea who that Kim person is. Sounds like I'm not missing much.
No you're not. Just another attention seeker, in my opinion. You know it's bad when Westburo Baptist Church, which is famous for being extremely homophobic, hates her and won't support her.

I did find it hilarious that she was going around after her meeting with the Pope claiming that he supported her, then it came out that he met his a gay friend and his partner the day before.

Quote:
It's been a long time since I could say this, but I'm postponing my homework by hanging around here. Yay!
Haha! Slacker

Old 10-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #869
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Hi, everybody. We ae cooking out this evening and I just rushed in to get some mosquito repellent before Attalus gets eaten alive, poor baby.
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Old 10-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #870
Earniel

I loathe mosquitoes. Lately they appear to have evolved stealth and the ability to bite through jeans. Very unpleasant.

I suspect my neighbourhood is trying to make me dislike fireworks. I used to love them but the frequency with which they are used lately around here and the ill-advised timing is not helping. Just today some were lit even before 9PM. I can't even enjoy them then, I worry and rush about too much about getting the cats inside before noise-hell break loose. And I can't help but think of all the pets in the neighbourhood, going crazy with fright. Not cool.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:13 AM   #871
Mari
Elf Lady

Isn't it illegal to fire them in Belgium then? Over here it is.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #872
Earniel

It's illegal here to own certain kinds or transport and store more than (I think) one kg without extra precautions but whether or not you can fire them off depends on your town regulations. Normally it's forbidden in ours but it's certainly not a priority for the police. Also, I live close to the border of three other towns and it's not like the noise stops at the borders. (Now that would be something!)
Old 10-10-2015, 11:35 PM   #873
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Private use of fireworks is illegal where I live in Massachusetts, though it’s done. I thought it was silly: I grew up in Tennessee, where private fireworks (and firearms) are the norm. Then neighborhood kids playing with bottle rockets shot one under the eaves of my house about 17 years ago. Our home burned, along with our belongings. It took a year and a small fortune to rebuild; many things – pictures and heirlooms – are lost for good.

The differences between Tennessee and Massachusetts are population density and construction techniques. Both states have the same population, but Tennessee has three times the area, and Massachusetts’ population is concentrated along a corridor beside the sea. Tennessee builds mostly with brick; Massachusetts, mostly wood.

Is the situation in the low countries similar?

Old 10-12-2015, 05:03 AM   #874
Earniel

Yikes, that must have been terrible.

I'm pretty sure here fireworks are forbidden for under 18 and that's a very good thing. Kids really shouldn't play with what are essentially explosives, even if they look pretty and harmless.

Population density is pretty high in Belgium, eleven million people of a tiny speck of land. If you compare us with Germany, they have roughly 8 times as many people, but over 12 times as big an area.

We mostly build brick. But in some of the older brick houses, especially the villas dating mostly from 1930 and onward, tatch roofs are not uncommon.

It is often said over here that Flemish people 'have a brick in their stomach' because we all like to have own our own property so much that we build a lot. (Public zoning, however is not one of our strong sides. We have an effect that translates to 'ribbon habitation' where towns and population centers grow from first houses on either side of important roads and more habitations get eventually built rather organically around it. You won't find many perfectly straigth lines and angles in the zoning of our building blocks, it's all very haphazard.)
Old 10-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #875
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Using fireworks is forbidden in the city here in SW MO. If you live outside city limits, there are no real restrictions on fireworks. The restrictions in the city are lifted for a time during Independence day and New Year's holidays. Then you can see ppl setting off mortars in their backyards, or in the streets.

I have family who live out in the country (several acres on pastureland) so we usually go there for fireworks on 4th of July. Don't bother with them on New Year's.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 10-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #876
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
Using fireworks is forbidden in the city here in SW MO. If you live outside city limits, there are no real restrictions on fireworks. The restrictions in the city are lifted for a time during Independence day and New Year's holidays. Then you can see ppl setting off mortars in their backyards, or in the streets.

I have family who live out in the country (several acres on pastureland) so we usually go there for fireworks on 4th of July. Don't bother with them on New Year's.
In my city, there is no firewoks in the city limits. The only exception is the Independence Day fest my city has.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #877
Midge
Faithful Gardener

OH MY GOSH! My ten-year anny was yesterday!!!

Yay me!
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 10-17-2015, 06:58 PM   #878
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yay Midge!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-18-2015, 12:51 PM   #879
Acalewia

Congrats, Midge!

Old 10-19-2015, 12:58 AM   #880
Mari
Elf Lady

My, how time flies! How is your baby by the way? Probably "growing like cabbage" as we say in Dutchland?

Closed Thread