Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Fitness and Exercise

This is a thread for people interested in fitness and exercise! Share your workouts of choice, ask questions about different forms of exercise that you're interested in, get advice, brag about a workout achievement, etc!

I'm training for my first marathon this October. I'm currently into running and yoga. When I lived in coastal and/or mountainous locations, I did a lot of surfing and hiking. I also enjoy figure skating and weight lifting in the winter months (I live in Minnesota so outdoor running in the dead of winter isn't always wise).

I've run 47 miles so far this month (a personal record in recent years) and am looking to finish it off with an 8 mile run tomorrow. I'm looking for an affordable way to keep up with yoga during the summer (I have access to it for free during the school year).

I would love to hear what you all are into! I'm always looking for new activities to try or ways to spice up my current interests

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

I have been a long distance runner since I was 15, with a short hiatus for hospitalization! I run 36-40 miles per week with wind sprints on Sunday. I ran my fourth marathon this November with the goal of beating three hours, which I didn't do, barely: 3 hours, 1 minute, 18 sec. But I'll be back!

Susie
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
the goal of beating three hours, which I didn't do, barely: 3 hours, 1 minute, 18 sec. But I'll be back!

That is FAST! I'm seriously impressed

My goal is to beat 5 hours

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
Old 05-30-2015, 10:39 PM   #4
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkienfan View Post

That is FAST! I'm seriously impressed

My goal is to beat 5 hours
Just remember to take it easy the first ten miles or so. You can save your energy for the last two or three miles when there is some serious sprinting going on.

Susie
Old 06-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I THINK about it a lot...

Seriously - I'm trying to get myself into a better fitness routine. I swam competitively for a couple years in my teens, so that's the easiest thing for me to fall into. Just so hard to get myself over to the pool consistently. And... I can be going really well for awhile, then get derailed and have a hard time starting back up.

Just have to keep trying. And trying to eat better too.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Good luck, Val! Early this year I was also having trouble getting myself out the door to work out on a regular basis. Signing up for something really helped motivate me! I don't know much about swimming, are there races or events of some sort that you could participate in?

Was there a particular stroke that you specialized in when you were a competitive swimmer? I enjoy watching swimming in the Olympics. I never learned how to do the butterfly so that stroke in particular is always super impressive to me.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:16 PM   #7
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Heh, I had to babysit two adorable (at times) girls. seven and five.I did have to use the Last Resort, which is, "I am bigger, stronger, and meaner than you are, so that is why not." But all was not loss, we got to jumping rope, which I have been doing on weekends to improve my balance. They had the usual rhymes, which I grew up with, but this one was a new one on me.:

My boyfriend took me to the candy store;
I ate what he bought but I wanted more.
He bought me ice cream
He bought me cake,
I ended up with a tummy ache.
'Mommy, mommy, I feel sick,
Call the doctor
Quick
Quick
Quick!'
Doctor, doctor, will I die?
Yes, said the doctor, and so will I!

Attalus liked it, being a doctor and all

Susie
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"

Last edited by Nerwen : 06-02-2015 at 10:18 PM. Reason: sprlling
Old 06-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #8
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkienfan View Post
Good luck, Val! Early this year I was also having trouble getting myself out the door to work out on a regular basis. Signing up for something really helped motivate me! I don't know much about swimming, are there races or events of some sort that you could participate in?

Was there a particular stroke that you specialized in when you were a competitive swimmer? I enjoy watching swimming in the Olympics. I never learned how to do the butterfly so that stroke in particular is always super impressive to me.
"Masters" competitions exist - but I'm not interested in swimming competitively again. Maybe it would help motivate me to get in better condition, but I have too much going on.

The butterfly is the most difficult to get right. It takes a certain amount of arm strength - then it's all timing. I had a coach who favored butterfly as a training stroke, so I got half-decent at it. Best at breaststroke, and started to get good at freestyle - my backstroke was my slowest.

I just want to get in condition though. I vary my strokes when I workout, to keep it more interesting. Also - lots of pools have removed their diving boards, but the school where I work still has them - both high and low. Sometimes I take a few dives after swimming. Before starting there - I don't think I had gone off a high board in 30 years or more.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #9
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I've been pretty good about working out the last few months... light weights, and in the last month doing M/W/F yoga. I'm really enjoying it, although obviously working out is always hard.

I'm seeing some muscle tone, and a little increased size in my arms, and my butt is way more perky... not that anyone wanted to know that. I do weighted bridges and squats, so it helps.

I'm still trying to determine my ultimate goal in weight lifting aside from just being healthy and strong. Pure strength isn't really my thing, so I feel pretty happy with the lighter weights and higher repetitions.

I don't know what really motivates me to do it, I don't know that I am really motivated to workout... I just know I need to do it so I don't end up old and decrepit way before my time. The weights are probably inspired by watching elderly choir members around me struggle with simple things, and the yoga by watching them not even be able to sit down easily or reach all the way up because they've lost so much flexibility. I don't aim to be old and pretty or a senior athletic star, I just want to have basic, normal function into old age if I can.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Tessar - totally agree! I found out the other day that my yoga instructor is 56 - and I would have guessed she was in her late 30s! I feel that it's also great for my mental health. Random side note: my sister is 7 months pregnant and recently started prenatal yoga. She said it was great and really helped with the discomfort. Yay yoga!

Old 07-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #11
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Amen, Tessar. Exercise makes you feel healthy. Something everybody should strive for.
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Old 07-05-2015, 03:08 AM   #12
Mari
Elf Lady

Exercise makes me feel praiseworthy, but never healthy or happy or anything else. Unfortunately.
I've played different (team)sports, but I liked none of them enough to do it just for the sport itself.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #13
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Tessar!!!

(ok, back to the thread )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote