Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2003, 01:48 PM   #1
azalea
Long lost mooter

Silmarillion discussion ch. 13: Of the Return of the Noldor

Supplimental readings:
Book of Lost Tales 1: "Flight of the Noldoli"
The Shaping of Middle Earth: "Prose Fragments," "The Earliest Silmarillion," "The Quenta," and "The Earliest Annals of Beleriand"
The Lost Road: "Quenta Silmarillion" and "The Later Annals of Beleriand"
(If this is incorrect or if there are more, please let me know and I'll add them to this list.)

Summary:
This is a relatively lengthy chapter containing a lot of important action. Feanor and the gang return to Middle Earth in exile from Valinor in pursuit of Morgoth and the Silmarils. Feanor is killed by Gothmog, lord of the Balrogs in battle. The Noldor are reunited with their Elvish kin still residing in Middle Earth, particularly Thingol and the Grey Elves. Maedhros is captured by Morgoth during battle and hung from Thangorodrim. Fingolfin and his group arrive, and there is animosity between them and the sons of Feanor. Fingon rescues Maedhros (which, IMO, is one of the most powerful and moving narratives in the book). Fingolfin hosts
the Mereth Aderthad (Feast of Reuniting). Updates are given about some of the main characters, regarding where they settled, etc. Morgoth then instigates the Dagor Aglareb (Glorious Battle) and the Siege of Angband begins. The chapter ends with a description of the period of 400 years (reminiscent to me of the Pax Romana), during which time there are only two major skirmishes with the dark forces, one being with Glaurung, the fire drake.

(I was unable to read all of the supplimental material, but what I did read of it revealed that little was changed from the original idea except for the contunuous addition of details and incidents serving to enrich the tale.
Please keep in mind as this is discussed that I am one of the less knowledgable posters regarding The Silmarillion and it's history, so some questions I may ask are for clarity as much as for a springboard for discussion, in hopes that others like me may benefit from the knowledge of the "scholars" here. )

(points for discussion on next post)
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote