Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2002, 03:22 PM   #1
Maedhros
The Tall

Silmarillion Discussion Chapters Assignements

The Chapters are:
Ainulindalë: Maedhros
Valaquenta : R*an. Date: December 2, 2002
1. Of the Beginning of Days: Artanis. Date: December 24, 2002
2. Of Aulë and Yavanna: Eärniel. Date: January 14, 2003
3. Of the coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor: Artanis. Date: February 7, 2003
4. Of Thingol and Melian: Elanor Gamgee. Date: February 28, 2003
5. Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalië: re-assigned. azalea.. Date: March 21, 2003
6. Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor: Earniel. Date: April 11, 2003
7. Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor : casseopeia. Date: May 2, 2003
8. Of the Darkening of Valinor: re-assigned, Attalus. Date: May 24, 2003
9. Of the Flight of the Noldor: Diamond of Long Cleave. Date: June 15, 2003
10. Of the Sindar: Elanor Gamgee. Date: July 7, 2003
11. Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor: re-assigned. Maedhros. Date: July 28, 2003
12. Of Men: reassigned. Fat Middle/ Date: August 19, 2003
13. Of the Return of the Noldor: re-assigned: azalea. Date: September 10, 2003.
14. Of Beleriand and its Realms : re-assigned, Maedhros. Date: October 18, 2003
15. Of the Noldor in Beleriand: Attalus. Date: October 24, 2003
16. Of Maeglin: azalea. Date: November 14, 2003
17. Of the Coming of Men into the West: re-assigned, Iluvatar. Date: December 6, 2003
18. Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin: Lefty Scaevola. Date: December 28, 2003
19. Of Beren and Lúthien: re-assigned. Maedhros. Date: January 19, 2004
20. Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad : Lefty Scaevola. Date: February 10, 2004
21. Of Túrin Turambar: re-assignment, Beor, March 3, 2004
22. Of the Ruin of Doriath: Finrod Felagund. Date: March 25, 2004
23. Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin: Maedhros. Date: April 16, 2004
24. Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath: Elvet. Date: May 8, 2004
AKALLABÊTH: Wayfarer. Date:May 30, 2004
OF THE RINGS OF POWER AND THE THIRD AGE: Wayfarer. Date: June 21, 2004

Usually chapter discussion last between 2 through 3 weeks to give anyone the opportunity to participate.
Remember, the person who does the intro of a chapter must:
1. Post the Additional Readings regarding that Chapter that are found in HOME.
2. Try to find pics that would help enlighten and broaden the discussion. Ex: maps would be a great addition to the thread in general, pictures depicting landscapes, battles, etc.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.

Last edited by Maedhros : 11-03-2003 at 01:17 AM.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 03:24 PM   #2
Maedhros
The Tall

The Aditional readings of the Ainulindalë are:

From Book of Lost Tales I: The Music of the Ainur.
From the Lost Road and Other Writtings: Ainulindalë.
From Morgoth's Ring: Part I Ainulindalë.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:38 PM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

There are extremely important Ainulindale writings found in Myths Transformed, don't forget.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:24 PM   #4
Maedhros
The Tall

Yes, I missed that Ñóledil. Myths Transformed II. Thanks.
Now I want to make a clarification regarding the posting of the additional readings per chapter. You don't need to necesarily give the readings if you don't have the books available to you. I'm will help anyone who was trouble finding them, and there are people like Ñóledil who would be willing to help, as he has done already.
The important thing is to have people willing to do the intros on the chapters, so that we can have more ideas and point of views that would be lost without the participation of more members.
The purpose of using HOME in this discussion is to make it broader and more interesting to everyone.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 11-09-2002, 02:09 PM   #5
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Are we supposed to volunteer here? I could do ch. 3, at least.
Old 11-09-2002, 02:29 PM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Yep, this is the place where you volunteer. Three? Wow!
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 02:58 PM   #7
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Yep, this is the place where you volunteer. Three? Wow!
Am I reading you right? I meant chapter number 3, "Of the Coming of the Elves"..., not 3 chapters, thank you!

But I suppose I could do 3 chapters if not enough people volunteer, because I think this idea is far too good to be turned down.
Old 11-09-2002, 08:05 PM   #8
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Am I reading you right? I meant chapter number 3, "Of the Coming of the Elves"..., not 3 chapters, thank you!

But I suppose I could do 3 chapters if not enough people volunteer, because I think this idea is far too good to be turned down.
Ok Artanis Chapter 3. You caught my manipulation Happy to have you participate.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:45 AM   #9
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

A few nights ago, I wasted valuable homework time for this doomed project (and I mean that in the nicest way). The Beren & Lúthien texts:

1 -- History of Middle-earth Volume II: The Book of Lost Tales 2, Chapter 1: "The Tale of Tinúviel"

2 -- History of Middle-earth Volume IV: The Shaping of Middle-earth VII: "The Earliest Annals of Beleriand"

3 -- History of Middle-earth Volume IV: The Shaping of Middle-earth VII: "The Earliest Annals of Beleriand"

4 -- History of Middle-earth Volume V: The Lost Road and Other Writings, Part Two - III: "The Later Annals of Beleriand", - VI: "Quenta Silmarillion" - 12-15 "Of Beren and Tinúviel"

5 - History of Middle-earth Volume XI: The Silmarillion Part Two - The War of the Jewels, Part One - "The Grey Annals", Part Two - "The Last Chapters", Part Three - V "The Tale of Years"

6- The Silmarillion - Quenta Silmarillion, XIX "Of Beren and Lúthien", XX "Of the Fifth Battle: N*rnaeth Arnoediad"
Old 11-15-2002, 01:05 AM   #10
Maedhros
The Tall

Thanks Ñóledil, but I think that you might have missed:
From Home 3: The Lays of Beleriand: The Lay of Leithian.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 11-15-2002, 09:42 PM   #11
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

The best of all! Thank you. I thought it odd: my paper had seven items, and my post six; I thought I had simply skipped a number.

1 -- History of Middle-earth Volume II: The Book of Lost Tales 2,
Chapter 1: "The Tale of Tinúviel"

2 -- History of Middle-earth Volume III: The Lays of Beleriand, III The Lay of Leithian, IV "The Lay of Leithian Recommenced"

3 -- History of Middle-earth Volume IV: The Shaping of Middle-earth VII: "The Earliest Annals of Beleriand"

4 -- History of Middle-earth Volume IV: The Shaping of Middle-earth VII: "The Earliest Annals of Beleriand"

5 -- History of Middle-earth Volume V: The Lost Road and Other Writings, Part Two - III: "The Later Annals of Beleriand", - VI: "Quenta Silmarillion" - 12-15 "Of Beren and Tinúviel"

6 - History of Middle-earth Volume XI: The Silmarillion Part Two - The War of the Jewels, Part One - "The Grey Annals", Part Two - "The Last Chapters", Part Three - V "The Tale of Years"

7- The Silmarillion - Quenta Silmarillion, XIX "Of Beren and Lúthien", XX "Of the Fifth Battle: N*rnaeth Arnoediad"
Old 11-15-2002, 09:52 PM   #12
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I'd love to help out with some readings. and contribute to the discussion.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 11-15-2002 at 09:54 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 10:11 PM   #13
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
I'd love to help out with some readings. and contribute to the discussion.
That would be great Wayfarer.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:20 PM   #14
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I'm in. Assign whatever you need to me. I have the BoLT 1 & 2 and Lays of Beleriand. I'll be picking up PoME next.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 10:13 PM   #15
Elvet
Elven Warrior

I would like to do Chapter 24 'Of the Voyage of Earendil and the War of Wrath'
Old 11-17-2002, 10:30 PM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Excellent!

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-17-2002, 10:31 PM   #17
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I would like to do...

23. Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin: Maedhros.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 10:35 PM   #18
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

It's yours Cirdan. Thanks for the participation.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-19-2002, 11:21 PM   #19
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Perhaps for me? #20 the battle of unumbered tears, which brings tears even to this ancient Roman.

"Aure entuluva!"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 01:02 AM   #20
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Very good Lefty. I will take chapter 17: Of The Coming Of Men Into The West, and chapter 19: Of Beren and Luthien.

Anyone else that has volunteered and has not chosen a chapter should do so please. The discussion of the Ainulindale will be unstuck on November 28th and allowed to move down to make room for Valaquenta which will be the next discussion, and is unassigned as of now. Any takers?

Travel and Tourism Guide