Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2015, 12:50 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Star Wars: Rebels

Has anyone watched this? Last night my 14 y.o. got me to watch a couple episodes with him. I enjoyed them. Maybe I'll get hooked.

It's set 5 years before Episode 4, and involves a small ship (about the scale of Millenium Falcon) and it's crew of about 5 plus R2-unit. Fun.

Earlier years of the rebellion: smuggling, blockade-running, infiltrating the Empire to steal secrets for the greater Rebellion, etc.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #2
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Ive been watching it too. I heard it was based on Star Wars canon and not just some random Disney created SW offshoot with limited connection to the SW universe, so I had to at least investigate to see where they went with it. Im still trying to figure that out. Didnt realize this was supposed to take place so close to New Hope. So Ezra is roughly Lukes age then? And with a very similar story? I wonder where they go with that. Ive heard this is essentially supposed to be the story about the birth of the rebellion which seems a bit of a stretch to me as these characters dont seem that high minded, although there always seems to be something some of them are hiding. Also, didnt the rebellion really start as soon as Palpotine swindled the senate into giving him full power and he disbanded it? Im not so familiar with the SW time line really. But the program isnt bad all in all even if it does seem aimed toward a preteen to young teen audience. To me it looks more like a Star Wars version of The A Team but we'll see what the writers do with it. Would be very cool if they could tie it together well and we start hearing about familiar characters and events.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Yes - my son told me they stick with canon. I was surprised he used that word, and surprised it was important to him! *But proud!*

I too would imagine that the rebellion started right after - or soon after - the Republic became the Empire. I believe there was already opposition in place (sorry - not real strong in the Star Wars universe myself, and it's been a long time... a LONG, long time ago!). So it makes sense that certain fringe groups would start banding together against the Empire right off.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I gotta check this out.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Watched the first episode and I really, really loved it! A few moment where I went, "really?.." when they did a bit much... over-referencing... but overall I really liked it. Talked to a friend and she really dislikes it, though... but on the flip side she loved the Clone Wars series and I couldn't stand it.

I felt like this first episode was much closer to the spirit of the original trilogy than any of the later films/cartoons have been. We'll see if it continues in that vein.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

It starts out as just sort of a fun frolic where they have their way with empire guards that come off as bumbling keystone cops. but it gets a bit more serious and intense as you watch more. And theres a distinct feeling that something is coming together. Ill leave it at that...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #7
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

That sounds awesome.

I'm all atwitter with anticipation!!!! I'll let you know as I'm able to keep watching.