Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-27-2015, 02:51 AM   #21
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins View Post
The Shadow of the Past is the chapter that truly hooked me on Tolkien! I think I was in third grade at the time. I think I have to do a re-read now. It's been a while!
Yeah, it had been a while for me too, and I'm really enjoying it!

And Shadow of the Past is such a brilliant piece of writing.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #22
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Less than 20 pages left to finish "The Hobbit" - then I'm joining in!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #23
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yay! Maybe we can get it moving a bit better. I'm back from a camping trip to Yosemite and all unpacked, so I'll pick it up again

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 07-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #24
Valandil

About there. Reading a 50th anniversary edition large paperback by Houghton Mifflin, which first has 20 pages of Notes on Text, Notes on 50th Anniversary Edition and Foreward. Read all that and now halfway through the 20 pages of Prologue. So I'll be in the story proper pretty soon.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 08-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #25
Valandil

Finally read a good deal last night. Maybe 25 pages or more. Just reached Farmer Maggot's home and went inside.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 08-29-2015, 08:37 PM   #26
Rían

gotta say - "Maggot"? Ugh!!! All of the other names that I remember are at least somewhat pleasant, but maggot? Why in the world did JRRT choose that?!

Old 08-31-2015, 12:39 AM   #27
Valandil

Don't know why. It does sound like a bad name.

My first - or one of my early times through - I remember getting confused about Farmer Maggot and Farmer Cotton (at the end of the book). Farmer Cotton (Rosie's father) gets little or no mention before the end of the book - and there he is playing a big role. But Farmer Maggot is built up quite a bit early in the book - and seems like he's going to be someone important. He has a good relationship with all the hobbits around, including the master of Buckland, he has gone into the Old Forest - and we even find that Tom Bombadil has gotten much of his recent information on the Shire from him, and holds him in high regard. But... I think that's the last mention we get of him. At Tom Bombadil's house.

I just read that a few minutes ago by the way, and have now set the book aside for the night. Ready to start "Fog on the Barrow Downs".

Where is everyone else who is re-reading?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #28
Valandil

I finished reading "Strider" earlier this morning, and am about to start, "A Knife in the Dark". May be starting some discussion threads on recently covered chapters. Especially some of the Bombadil things.

How are the rest of you doing? I don't get any updates? Are you halfway through, or has anyone finished? Or are you struggling to get going?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #29
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I didn't even get started. Lots of late nights and busy weekends this last month and that's usually my habitual reading time.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:03 AM   #30
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I didn't even get started. Lots of late nights and busy weekends this last month and that's usually my habitual reading time.
I haven’t started, either. I’d like to write an essay on The Hobbit before I begin; but that may have to wait. I suppose I should begin.

“Knife in the Dark” is one of my favorite chapters. It is one of Priscilla Tolkien’s, too.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:51 PM   #31
Rían

I actually finished it! so I need to back up and do a re-re-read and not move on to the next chapter until I've posted my thoughts here.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:46 AM   #32
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an View Post
I actually finished it! so I need to back up and do a re-re-read and not move on to the next chapter until I've posted my thoughts here.
If I may be so bold, did it take you two weeks?
Old 09-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #33
Valandil

Well, she started this thread four months ago, so not necessarily.

Rian - if you'd like, it'd be great if you re-read and post some more. But... I feel bad asking you to (unless you REALLY want to) if I'm the only one reading with you.

Any others up to reading, now that we're into September?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #34
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Would love to, but can't make any promises right now. We've got quite a few big projects around the house in the near future and it's hard to judge whether that will leave me much time and energy.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #35
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
If I may be so bold, did it take you two weeks?
I think it did!

or less - I don't remember exactly, but I read it pretty quickly.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:14 PM   #36
Valandil

OK - I've been really slow on this re-read. For awhile I read other books - and we also moved, I changed jobs, etc. Anyway - I'm back at it, working my way through Two Towers.

Funny thing happened a week or two ago. Went into a Wendy's and brought my book with me. The girl who took my order noticed it. The following...

Her: "That's a good book!"

Me: "Oh, have you read it?"

Her: "No... but I've seen all the movies and read several (book) reviews on it."

I thought that was so funny. Her making comments about how good the book was when she hadn't even read it. I ended up just telling her to read the book!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 06-02-2016, 03:16 AM   #37
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
OK - I've been really slow on this re-read. For awhile I read other books - and we also moved, I changed jobs, etc. Anyway - I'm back at it, working my way through Two Towers.

Funny thing happened a week or two ago. Went into a Wendy's and brought my book with me. The girl who took my order noticed it. The following...

Her: "That's a good book!"

Me: "Oh, have you read it?"

Her: "No... but I've seen all the movies and read several (book) reviews on it."

I thought that was so funny. Her making comments about how good the book was when she hadn't even read it. I ended up just telling her to read the book!
lol

I’ve restarted. I think I began a week or ten days ago; I’m just finishing Fellowship.

Recently I listened to a college professor on YouTube recently talk about how the first half of FotR wanders around as if Tolkien isn’t sure what story he’s telling. But that’s not the case at all.

There really are six books in Lord of the Rings. LotR is told from point-of-view. Mostly, each of the first four books is told from a single point of view. The last two become more chaotic, switching from character to character before settling once more to a single point of view.

Through all of Book I (the first half of FotR that the English professor complained about), everything is from Frodo’s point of view. It starts out as if it were “Frodo’s Journal”, initially a lot like Bilbo’s Journey, but that changes quickly. We never read anything told from the point of view of Merry or Pippin or Sam, much less Aragorn or Gandalf. Frodo doesn’t know what’s going on: He’s almost clueless: at Elrond’s Council, Gandalf reports that Butterbur called Frodo and his companions “willful”, reflecting what Gandalf told the remaining Company of the Ring in Minas Tirith in Unfinished Tales’ “Quest for Erebor”: that Bilbo “did not realize at all how fatuous the Dwarves thought him, nor how angry they were with” Gandalf. When Frodo wakes up in Elrond’s House at the beginning of Book II, Gandalf tells him, “you are lucky to be here, too, after all the absurd things you have done since you left home.”

In Book II, we’re still told almost everything from Frodo’s point of view, everything except the Company’s council at Parth Galen while Frodo fled Boromir. That’s told from Sam’s point of view, things Frodo and Sam would no doubt later discuss.

Book III briefly begins from Aragorn’s point of view – the only time in Lord of the Rings we get a glimpse into Aragorn’s thoughts – until Legolas and Gimli find him weeping beside Boromir’s body. Then it is unclear exactly whose point of view we have, Legolas’ or Gimli’s, but we hear no one’s interior thought but Legolas’, who alone sees the shining crown on Aragorn’s brow when he declares himself to Éomer and his éored. From the kidnapped hobbits, we hear mostly Pippin’s thought, jumbled along with Merry’s, as if they were relating their experiences to a chronicler in same jumbled, interrupted fashion they used speaking to Treebeard. Gandalf takes Pippin, and from there, that thread of the story is told from Pippin’s viewpoint. Aragorn takes Merry, and that part of the story is told from Merry’s point of view. The Paths of the Dead is told in Book III from Gimli’s point of view, later augmented with additions by Legolas in Book V, but there as retold to Merry and Pippin in the Houses of Healing.

Book IV is told almost exclusively from Sam’s point of view: we no longer hear Frodo’s interior thought at all, only Sam’s; and we see and hear only what he sees and hears.

Book V begins with what Pippin knows, then what Merry sees and hears; back to Pippin; again to Merry; then Pippin and Merry together join Legolas and Gimli to learn the rest of the story of the Paths of the Dead. (Tolkien called the Paths of the Dead part of the Saga of Aragorn Arathorn’s Son.) Book V ends with a telling of what we might call the Council of Númenor in Exile: the Captains of Arnor and Gondor (which includes Rohan), but told from Imrahil’s (and maybe Éomer’s) point of view: the interior dialogue of Aragorn and Gandalf are opaque to us.

Book VI begins with Sam and what he sees and experiences; then the march to the Morannon from Pippin’s point of view until he is crushed beneath the troll. Then back to Sam watching Frodo struggle on: we hear nothing whatever of Frodo’s inner torment: we can only see it at a distance. There is a break: we see Éowyn and Faramir, but are not privy to their thoughts: it is as if the anonymous Warden of the Houses of Healing told that part of the story. Finally Sam’s consciousness returns to the Field of Cormallen; we return the Shire with him, and from there, to end of the tale.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:02 PM   #38
Valandil

Still trudging along. Just finished "Passing of the Grey Company" and set to start "Muster of Rohan" - amazing how much is packed into so few pages and yet is so memorable.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 08-12-2016, 10:48 PM   #39
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Finished sometime in the last week. Knew nothing of the Epilogue until I read Sauron Defeated. Someone in the Inklings (perhaps it was C.S. Lewis, though I have no proof; Tolkien said it was “universally condemned”) disliked it so much that it was discarded: I think that was unfortunate. In the long Letter # 131 to Milton Waldman, Tolkien called Sam “the chief hero[]”, and in Letter # 173 to Katherine Farrer (“a writer of detective stories, was married to the theologian Austin Farrer, then Chaplain of Trinity College,” according to Letter # 112: he wrote her several letters; she and her husband appear to have been social friends of the Tolkiens’), he wrote that he felt “the picture incomplete without something on Samwise and Elanor, but I could not devise anything that would not have destroyed the ending”.

Pouring through the Appendices. Does anyone know where Tolkien got his numbers for calculating the exact length of the Númenórean and Gregorian years in Appendix D? He has calculated the errors in those and in the Elvish cycle, too.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:40 PM   #40
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Just finished a read-through of Lord of the Rings, and it really made me dislike the movies even more. The whole 'Passing of the Grey Company' part especially. Quite an intense last few chapters of Book V!