Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2003, 11:44 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul If Jackson made "The Silmarillion the Movie"

This is just to post your ideas on what jackson woudl change and how he would make The Silmarillion into an action movie.

I saw this in the Sil Forum posted by BB concerning Jackson making a Silmarillion movie -

Quote:
It won't happen in Christopher Tolkien's lifetime but once the old coot finally kicks the bucket and one of his more enlightened kin takes over the family business, I could see the estate selling the film rights to the Silmarillion for mega-bucks.

With the multibillion dollar film successes of the LOTR, anybody with half a brain knows that the Silmarillion is a hot property. After the Hobbit is finally filmed in a few years, the heat will be on to move to the Silmarillion. If handled properly, it could become a huge Star Wars-like film franchise.

The secret to success is that these have to be Peter Jackson films. Frankly, no one else could do the material justice.
Now after I cleaned up the throw up again - I started thinking - what would a Silmarillion movie be like if Jackson did it. We know how he had Faramir drag Frodo to Osgiliath, created Arwen into Xena-Elf, had Theoden's huge exorcism scene. So what woudol he do?

For instance this is something quick I came up with while I was talking with someone. ... Luthien is carried off by a dragon and Beren fights to save her. He single handedly kills the beast and wins Luthien's hand in marriage.

I have to admit - I had a lot of mockery stuff that I decided to take out. Like "it shows the love between Luthien and Beren beautifully". "Jackson did an awesome job and showed their love in the only way possible in the allotted time" Okay - so I decided to add the mockery back in.

How would Jackon portray the creation of the world? etc. What outrageous things would he come up with to spice up the movie and make it more action oriented.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-28-2003 at 11:49 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:15 AM   #2
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

If it's all the same with you, I'd rather not think about it. Hows about I put my LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA cap on?

Tho' I will say this: I can't see him doing the Music of the Ainur, can you? Gods, he make 'em all giants with tin-foil bits hanging off them, or something.

Argh, can you imagine the fight between Tulkas, and Morgoth?? I bet it would be like when Saruman and Gandalf fought it out...

Nononono, I can't think about this! Must stop! Aaaaaarrrrrgh! *runs from thread*
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:23 AM   #3
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Nononono, I can't think about this! Must stop! Aaaaaarrrrrgh! *runs from thread*
Come Sheeana *arm around her shoulder- leading her back to thread* it can't be that bad.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-29-2003, 12:32 AM   #4
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Oh yes it can precious.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:54 AM   #5
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

SGH - mybe Elfhelm was on to something...

How 'bout we divide the LOTR movie section into the "Bashing Jackson Forum" and the "Non-bashing Jackson Forum"??
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 01:13 AM   #6
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
SGH - mybe Elfhelm was on to something...

How 'bout we divide the LOTR movie section into the "Bashing Jackson Forum" and the "Non-bashing Jackson Forum"??
Why can't the people who don't like Lord fo the Rings the movies - or don't love them as much as others - bash Jackson or state their opinion? If you only talked to people who agreed with you it would be a very boring discussion.

This can be a very interesting thread - people can relate the scenes as they were in the book or make changes like Jackson made in LotR. I'm just asking how Jackson would do the movie. BB seems to think that Jackson is the only one who can produce them. I want people's ideas on what they think Jackson would do.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-29-2003 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:26 AM   #7
Selwythe
Elven Warrior

There is absolutely no way the Silmarillion can fit into a movie. It'd have to be made into a TV series.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:33 AM   #8
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Selwythe
There is absolutely no way the Silmarillion can fit into a movie. It'd have to be made into a TV series.
I'm sure with Jackson it'll star Pamela Anderson as Luthien.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-29-2003, 02:37 AM   #9
hawaiidevil
Sapling

PJ is a jerk and should be shot for his anhilation of LOTR.

If he does do Sil, it will most definitely be a "pimped out" version. immunity, reward challanges, and "the tribe that spoke (n)"
Old 10-29-2003, 03:15 AM   #10
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I'm sure with Jackson it'll star Pamela Anderson as Luthien.
*shudder*
Old 10-29-2003, 03:29 AM   #11
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
*shudder*
Well can't you picture it? Beren secretly watching Luthien as she dances. The camera goes to slow motion. you see her hair and breasts bouncing up and down. Just like the intro to Bay Watch without the beach.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-29-2003, 03:34 AM   #12
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Well can't you picture it?
I can. You're quite cruel.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:06 AM   #13
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Well can't you picture it?
Ye gods, curse my image-rich imagination. Mind bleech, please! Artanis is right, you are quite cruel.

Then I'd rather see Angelina Jolie as was proposed in the Silmarillion-forum. At least she had the right hair-colour....
Old 10-29-2003, 07:18 AM   #14
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Ye gods, curse my image-rich imagination. Mind bleech, please! Artanis is right, you are quite cruel.

Then I'd rather see Angelina Jolie as was proposed in the Silmarillion-forum. At least she had the right hair-colour....
Well does it really matter on the hair color? I think Jackson would go with the chiched - "men prefer blondes" to capture the male audiences. I also think he would go more for the Bay Watch look for Luthien and the overal scene.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-29-2003, 07:47 AM   #15
Millane
The Dude

ok im jumping ship at the thought of anyone doing the silmarillion, nevermind PJ, i think that no one could pull of a good movie out of the sil. I dont get the Pamela Anderson joke, i think that the casting for LotR was great now i think it would be more likely for PJ to cast himself in a lead role (just like Bad Taste ) although he is cool id hope to god he doesnt meddle in the Sil...
Quote:
Argh, can you imagine the fight between Tulkas, and Morgoth?? I bet it would be like when Saruman and Gandalf fought it out...
Tulkas could only be portrayed wrestling Morgoth with BRUTE STRENGTH! im getting angry now, i love that seen and i love Tulkas
"Say this to Manwe Sulimo, High King of Arda: if Feanor cannot Morgoth he delays not to assail him, and sits not idle in grief. And it may be that Eru has set in me a fire greater than thou knowest. Such hurt at the least will i do to the Foe of the Valar that even the mighty in the Ring of Doom shall wonder to hear it. Yea, in the end they shall follow me. Farewell!"
no living actor could deliver that speach and it is such a classic part in the Silmarillion that i would be heart broken if it was omitted...
Old 10-29-2003, 08:07 AM   #16
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
ok im jumping ship at the thought of anyone doing the silmarillion, nevermind PJ, i think that no one could pull of a good movie out of the sil. I dont get the Pamela Anderson joke, i think that the casting for LotR was great
\
Most of the casting was good, however Haldir sucked, Merry and Pippin sucked, Arwen sucked, Galadriel sucked, Elrond sucked. (in my opinion). Why was Liv Tyler in the movie - did her father donate a bunch of money to the film? I just don't think she's very pretty - let alone beautiful enough to play Arwen who was supposed to resemble Luthien.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-29-2003, 08:23 AM   #17
Millane
The Dude

ummm Haldir i initially didnt like him now i do, Merry, Pippin and Arwen were good choices and i had my doubts about Elrond, not very elvish but he's grown on me... Cate Blanchett was perfect...
i do think Liv Tyler was as close as they were gunna get for Arwen...
either way i dont think many of the characters of the Silmarillion could be portrayed in film so it doesnt really matter
Old 10-29-2003, 10:01 AM   #18
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I liked most on the cast for LOTR

Anywho, about the Silmarillion: *steams* NO WAY PJ can make that into a movie! I'd like to see him try...... actually no, I don't want to see him try. I don't even want to think about how........and I'm not even going to coment on what BB said, because *steams* I might say something I'll regret *walks quietly from room*

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com

Last edited by Elvengirl : 10-29-2003 at 10:05 AM.
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 02:57 PM   #19
azalea
Long lost mooter

Because this is about The Silmarillion, and not about the LotR movies, it really belongs in the Silm forum. I'm going to move it there, but SGH, if you think it doesn't belong there either, go ahead and move it back if you want to.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 03:16 PM   #20
Sween
im quite stupid

I think anyone that made the Sil would need 9 movies at least to do it.

Now as for what they would change to that i dont really know i would imgin the battles would be a big Focal point (hell we would all love to see some of these battles)

However the Sil is not a realistic movie franchise IMHO simply because its just not like LOTR. The major players are themselves increadbly powerfull being of much might and strength which to be honest just dont make for as good a movies as a poor little hobbit taking on the world