Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

So, will you pick up the books again? Or are you waiting for George R. R. Martin to finish? (Which might never happen)
Old 11-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #22
Snowdog
DĂșnedain Ranger of the North

I tried reading Game of Thrones a few different times, but each time I got bogged down about a third of the way in. I was glad HBO did a mini series of this tale because I'm enjoying it and don't have to read the books.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #23
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I watched a "Women who Kick Ass" panel from comic con on youtube yesterday featuring Maisie Williams (Arya) and Natalie Dormor (Margaery).

I was very impressed by Maisie, she has really put a lot of thought and effort into her role (especially for a first-time actor). Apparently the books say that Arya is left handed, so Maisie put a lot of work into learning to swordfight (and everything else) with her left hand, a detail that I'm sure very few people appreciate.

Getting back to Gwai's point about overcasting, this is an issue she spoke about too. Arya is seen by many fans of the show as an "action hero" or "woman who kicks ass" (the very title of the panel). She is definitely a strong character with many great qualities. However, she is also a little girl. A girl who has to do many terrible things simply in order to survive. She didn't choose to become a killer or a hero. There's a great sadness to her story in the books that I think is downplayed in the show. I think Maisie put it something like: a kid can't go though the things that she has to without becoming messed up in the head for the rest of their life.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote