Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2003, 12:20 PM   #41
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Re: Important: Chapter 15, "Of the Noldor in Beleriand."

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
Finally, and seemingly randomly, the Chapter ends with an odd little pair of paragraphs, detailing the visit of Galadriel to Nargothond to attend a feast of all of the family of Finarfin. Finrod has no wife, she notes, after the immemorial manner of sisters. Why? He replies, "An oath I too shall swear, and must be free to fulfill it, and go into darkness. Nor shall anything of my realm remain that a son should inherit." [...] It was then noted that "Not since that hour had such cold thoughts ruled him,"
Sorry for coming back to this point, but I've just read the thread. While reading this, I recalled these two LOTR passagges:

Quote:
All of them, it seemed, had fared alike: each had felt that he was offered a choice between a shadow full of fear that lay ahead, and something that he greatly desired: clear before his mind it lay, and to get it he had only to turn aside from the road and leave the Quest and the war against Sauron to others.
and

Quote:
`Boromir, O Boromir!' he cried. `What did she say to you, the Lady that dies not? What did she see? What woke in your heart then? Why went you ever to Laurelindórenan, and came not by your own road, upon the horses of Rohan riding home in the morning?'
I found it curious that in both cases, Galadriel's presence brings to her partner a capacity for foreseeing. And in both cases the foreseeing is about the Doom of oneself.

So, following the parallel, we could suppose that, as in the case of the members of the Fellowship, Finrod too saw two possible roads behind him and he need of choosing. The shadowy road we already know, but what coud be Finrod's "something that he greatly desired"? I don't know, and that makes me think that we know very little of Finrod's heart.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:34 PM   #42
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Thanks, FM, for that insight. I had forgotten that last quote; it gave me goosebumps. Galadriel says to Frodo: "Gently are you avenged for my testing of your heart at our first meeting." That seems to be one of her powers, telepathy; one she apparently shared with Elrond, and, of course, Gandalf.
Quote:
For they did not move or speak with mouth, looking from mind to mind; and only their shining eyes stirred and kindled as their thoughts went to and fro.
She also tells Frodo that she is not a counselor, echoing his earlier quip to Gildor, "Go not to the Elves for advice, for they will say both yes and no." Perhaps her wisdom could be imparted, too, to show others the future, or at least possible futures. She was a pupil of Aulë, and she devised the Mirror. Surely she would have had to have that gift to imbue the Mirror with that power. Or, perhaps the Mirror was merely a way to convey her gifts of Foreseeing without causing the fear that her speaking directly to the viewer's mind would have. She says, "Remember that the Mirror shows many things, and not all have yet come to pass. Some never come to be, unless those that behold the visions turn aside from their path to prevent them. The Mirror is dangerous as a guide of deeds."

Last edited by Attalus : 11-08-2003 at 03:35 PM.
Attalus is offline   Reply With Quote